Hello Heritage Advocates
We wanted to provide an update of activities since the April 20 Forum. The Heritage Steering Committee met at the end of May. They decided that the Heritage Societies for Dundas, Stoney Creek, hopefully Ancaster (no one attended the meeting) and Waterdown/Flamborough will tak
Councillor McHattie is taking the lead with the Ward 1 neighbourhood associations and Councillor Farr will work with his neighbourhood associations to do the same thing for properties in Ward 2. The ACO and the Head of the Lake will work together on Wards 3, 4, and 5. ACO is also going to work on providing training sessions on the Building Stories software with Kayla.
Since the last meeting, we have been working with staff to find a way to sort the heritage list by ward. We have succeeded for about 80% of the properties and we have a student working on the other 20%. This should assist with dividing up the properties by neighbourhood (for the old City of Hamilton). The properties for the other communities are already separated. Once this is completed, we will be able to enlist your help in reviewing the properties.
Whereas, there has been considerable concern and some confusion as it relates to the pending possible demolition of two Gore District buildings related to a future development in the area, and;
Whereas, Culture and Heritage Staff are currently working on a report and have assured Council of a report back on the Downtown Heritage Buildings Inventory, but not until the fourth quarter as it relates to buildings that qualify for the Heritage Register in the downtown area (properties on the Register are protected for 60 days should a demolition permit be applied for), including the Gore District, and;
Whereas, despite the staff project, concern continues that the integrity of the Gore District may be lost in the interim, should additional demolition permits be applied for, noting that properties currently part of the staff project are not currently protected from demolition.
Therefore, be it resolved; That all properties in the Gore District listed on the City’s inventory of heritage buildings, with the exception of 24 and 28 King Street East previously granted a demolition permit, be added to the Register.
Public Open House re Restoring St. Mark’s Property
June 25, 2013, at 11 am to 2 pm and 6 to 9 pm (identical drop-in/self-guided open house sessions)
130 Bay Street South, Hamilton
The Tourism and Culture Division at the City of Hamilton invites you to a Public Open House to review presentation materials that will show the potential look and feel of a restored St. Mark’s property located at 130 Bay Street South.
Details at http://www.hamilton.ca/stmarks
Downtown Built Heritage Inventory Public Meeting and Open House
Wednesday, July 10 (rescheduled from Thursday, June 27)
Open House: 1 to 4 pm
Facilitated Session: 6 to 9 pm
LIUNA Station, 360 James St. N.
The City of Hamilton invites all citizens to a public open house and facilitated public meeting to inform and engage citizens about the Downtown Hamilton Built Heritage Inventory Study
City Council has directed staff to complete a pilot study of inventoried properties in the downtown and update the existing Inventory of Buildings of Architectural and or Historical Interest. An extensive research and documentation project was undertaken and information has been incorporated into a database. Working with ERA Architects, phase two of the project is underway; developing a methodology to evaluate the approximately 800 properties based on the Regulation 9/06 of the Ontario Heritage Act.
In the context of this direction, the open house will provide citizens the opportunity to learn more about the Downtown Built Heritage Inventory Project, the Ontario Heritage Act and the municipal designation process. The public are encouraged to participate in the evening facilitated session that will include an opportunity to share ideas about built heritage and the value Hamiltonians place on heritage and conservation.
There will be no formal presentation at the afternoon open house (1 to 4 pm); however there will be information panels and the consultants and staff will be available to answer questions.
The evening public meeting (6 to 9 pm) includes a presentation from both the consultants and staff and a facilitated discussion where citizens can provide input into the development of the methodology.